Old 15-11-2002, 06:03 AM
kdupar

Default Garden Kneelers

From: "Tony"
Subject: Garden Kneelers
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:57:27 -0000

I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the
Stanley one that has
a bit of storage space in it.

If anyone has used one of these before, could you let me know if
they're any good, and are
they wide enough to accommodate hefty knees!?

Several years ago, my thoughtful husband got a kneeler for me (my knees
not being as flexible as they once were!). It was totally useless in my
case, and has been gathering dust in our garage even since. It worked
well if I was only weeding in one spot. But, every time I wanted to
move even a few inches along a flower bed, I had to haul myself up,
shift the kneeler, and kneel down again. It was less painful to kneel
without it.

My solution was to get a "grasshopper" (it's made by an American
company, hence the name) that I ordered from a mail order catalogue
five or six years ago. It's a seat (that lifts up with storage space
underneath) on four wheels. I scoot all over the garden and weed in
comfort. I only stand up to weed the back of deep borders, and then I
use a smallish fork on a long handle. It may not be an elegant solution
to the problem of weeding with creaky knees, but it works for me! And,
since you are sitting - not kneeling - you don't have to worry about
"hefty knees".

Kristina
www.black-isle.info/orchard