Old 19-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Ted

Default Need help with drip system - calculations (math time) :)

I know it's out there but I'm pressed for time and too lazy to go
looking for it.

Here's what I need.

I'm running a drip system from the faucet in my garage to a second
story balcony. My genius builder didn't think to install a faucet out
there. Anyway, what I have is some 1/4" tubing that goes directly from
the faucet (on a timer) up the length of the garage door, across the
length of the garage door, down the length of the garage door (two car
garage), out the garage to a patch of dirt, up a tree that brushes
against my condo, exteneded along a branch, finally entering my
balcony, up two a flower bed - whew......okay...Now, I have enough
pressure to water two flowerbeds - 4 drip sprinklers. I want to add
three more pots and know that i won't have the water pressure to do so.

The total distance that the tubing covers is around 50'-60'.

I have issues here with the homeowners association so I have to keep
things as stealth as possible - that's why I chose to use the 1/4"
instead of 1/2".

Soooooo...now I was thinking of re-tubing the lengths on the inside of
the garage - up, across, and down with the 1/2" tubing. Is this going
to give me more pressure?

I guess what I'm looking for here is someone kind enough to help me
with some calculations.

Something like:

"water pressure" is directly proportional to "x length of tubing"
having an "inside diameter of x"

I'd like to know if I gain anything by "cutting down" the distance that
I'm using the 1/4" tubing and instead replacing it with the 1/2"
tubing. The total length of all tubing with still be the same - still
50'-60'.

Say for example I now have:

A. 50 feet of 1/4" tubing from water source to flower bed and that I
get a water presure reading of X.

B. If I use 20' feet of 1/2" and 30' of 1/4" should my water pressure
increase? If so, by how much?

One more question:

C. If I use 20' feet of 1/2" then go to a 1' section of 1/4" then back
to 29' feet of 1/2" would I have the same pressure as above in "B"?

Thanks...