Old 19-07-2005, 03:50 PM
me

"tomatolord" wrote in message
I would suggest 2 things - which basically deal with how little time
most people have.

1 - Show how easy it is to go from kitchen to compost pile - We use
a paper bag like shool lunch bags to put our scraps in and then toss
the whole thing into the compost pile

2 - the lazy composter - make a composter that all you do is toss
the stuff in and close the lid again. That is what I have. It does
take a lot longer to compost but it is not like I have to compost
hundreds of pounds a day.

tomatolord...

"RiversideGraduateDp" wrote in message
oups.com...
My name is David, I'm working with Durham's Dept of Solid Waste for
the
summer. In a nutshell what I'm doing is helping with the creation
of a
compost demonstration site at the Solid Waste Center in Durham.
Part of
my job is designing informative signs to educate people who visit
the
site about composting. I'm wondering what types of things I should
be
putting on the signs.

What I have for signs now:
*What compost is
*What to use compost for
*Common myths (if you think of any, please pass them on)
*Common problems and solutions (again, please pass along any
problems
you've had and how you solved them)
*Descriptions of various bins (including pros and cons of each)

When finished, the layout of the site will include the following:
*A plastic bin
*A tumbler
*A concrete block 3-compartment bin
*A chicken wire pile
*A pallet bin
*A worm bin

Also on the site will be an outdoor "classroom" setup. Creating
lesson
plans based on age and level of experience. Eventually we hope to
be
able to accomodate everyone from children to folks who are curious
about starting their first pile to master gardeners. Any ideas for
things to include in these lesson plans would be great.

I myself am fairly new to composting, but I'm quite enthusiastic
about
learning more. Thanks in advanced for anything you contribute to
making
this project happen.

-Dave

I agree. Showing composting as the "path of least resistance" is a
good idea.