Old 20-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Gus

Keith thanks for the input.

I have a lot of oaks, cactus and cedars so I only have 5-6ac of grass.
Guess I should not have said I had 12 acres.

You had a great time savings with the size change. The Husq with 54"
cut should zip through what I want to cut with it. It takes me about
5 hours to cut everything with my ford 8N w/ a brush hog.

I looked at the small Chinese diesel tractors but needed a
mower/puller/trasportation that runs under tree limbs.

I'll check out the XP series, Lowe's doesn't carry that one but they
do have a larger TH2654.
What's wrong with B&S? Husq uses the ELS engines which are premium
engines.

Thanks again.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:52:17 -0400, "Keith Warren"
wrote:

Gus,

12 acres is a little steep from a time standpoint for a rider/tractor. If
your only interested in *mowing* the 12 acres, I would strongly suggest a
mid-range zero-turn mower. On my 4 acres, I moved progressively from the
Craftsman 42" to a Kubota B1700 with a 48" finish mower to a Husqvarna 5221
Z-turn. My mowing time moved from 11 hours to 6.5 hours to 1.75
respectively. If you want more versatility, you should be looking at the
smaller diesel tractors.

That being said, if you are set on a traditional rider, the husky is good,
but for 12 acres, I wouldn't recommend the GT series that they sell at the
box stores, I would spend a few hundred bucks more and get into the XP
series that are on a lot sturdier platform and go for the Kawasaki
commercial twin engine rather than the Kohler or B&S.
It'll stand up to the use better in the long run.

Keith

"Gus" wrote in message
.. .
HI:
I am looking at a Husqvarna GT2554 garden tractor to buy and use on my
12 acres. This is a 22hp, 54" deck model, 6 speed/hi-lo range.

If you have experience with this brand of mower/tractor or any model
of Husqvarna please let me know you opinion.

The one repair shop in this area says these are unreliable. But then
he also says he stopped selling them because they 'screwed him', no
explination. Sounds like sour grapes.

Thanks,
Gus