Old 19-07-2005, 10:24 PM
J.C.

"Elliot Richmond" wrote in message
On 19 Jul 2005 10:07:06 -0700, wrote:

So...when/how should I start? I don't know how to kill off the grass,
or when should I should start messing with soil testing and adding
stuff.

Any help would be great!

If it were me, I would cover the area I wanted to convert to garden
with thick, clear plastic. Now. The heat will kill the grass and most
weeds. It will even kill most weed seeds (except maybe nut grass).
Leave it about a month.

Then roll up the plastic and work in lots of organic stuff, manure,
compost, etc. A layer of about 2 to 4 inches of manure and compost
would not be too much. Till the organic material in to a depth of
about 8 inches. Cover the whole area with a thick layer of mulch. I
like hay as mulch, but any good mulch would do.

Elliot Richmond, Ph.D.
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

You guys are sure going to be mad when you get as old as I am and only then
discover
www.squarefootgardening.com

--
Make it just one gnat to email.