Old 19-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote after, Brian asked

I have the day off tomorrow, and have now found out that I won't be doing
what I expected to do (waiting in for a delivery).

As a result, I though I might visit a garden for inspiration (as of last
weekend ours is now just bare earth). Can anyone suggest a garden worth
visiting in West Sussex?

Brian (who is new to this gardening lark)

Sheffield Park, Nymans. Wakehurst Place, Borde Hill, Wisley all have a
good reputation. (Also Sissinghurst and Great Dixter in East Sussex.)

From the summary on the NT web site, I suspect that Sheffield Park is not
at its best in the summer.

A quick google also finds this page of South East gardens -
URL:http://www.greatbritishgardens.co.uk...uth%20east.htm

Don't bother with Sheffield Gardens this time of year. Wakehurst Place is
more a Botanic garden so won't give you many ideas for yours. I've been to
the others but can't remember them except how disappointed I was with
Sissinghurst, but that was years ago. They are all "Grand" gardens so don't
translate into a normal sized plot.
For garden inspiration Wisley has to be the place.
Or, better still, some "Yellow Book" gardens... http://www.ngs.org.uk/
(you may have to rush out to a bookseller tomorrow morning to get a copy to
find if any are open near you)

Oh, and take a notebook and pen to write down the plants, the association of
plants, draw plans, etc..
--
Regards
Bob