Old 19-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Phil L

:: I'm in the process of laying a new patio and myself and my partner
:: can't agree on what colour pointing to use.
:: The paving is Marshalls Chancery paving in Honeydew colour which is a
:: buff/blonde/yellowish colour. The design of the paving edges
:: neccessitates a 1-2cm gap between each slab.
:: I think we should go with a dyed dark colour to contrast with the
:: paving but she thinks we should use a buff colour similar to the colour
:: of the paving or use a natural grey mortar colour.
:: Any suggestions?

The suggestions so far all seem to point (excuse the pun) towards using a
natural sand & cement mixture, yet your reply timed at 12:43 says 'OK I'll
go with a coloured dye' etc.

Personally I'd go with a natural mix, mortar dyes don't work, at least not
for any length of time, they bleach with the sun and worse still, this is
rarely a uniform process, patches which are sheltered by walls and fences
etc which receive no bad weather will remain bright yellow while other
patches of it are 'natural'.

There's a picture of some here, pointed in natural sand/cement mixture...I
would reccomend ordinary red building sand and OPC mixed at a ratio of 4:1.

http://www.marshalls.co.uk/transform...ry_paving1.jpg

I lay drives and patios for a living and can tell you straight that nothing
looks worse than coloured pointing - it *never* looks right from day one and
then gets steadily worse.

HTH

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.