Old 20-07-2005, 08:43 AM

Phil,

I had already seen this picture
http://www.marshalls.co.uk/transform...ry_paving1.jpg

in the Marshalls catalogue/website and thought it looked very good but
assumed the 'white' colour was achieved using white cement or some sort
of dye. I find it difficult to believe that I would get that colour
using red building sand and OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement ?).
I tried a little 'test' pointing last night using some broken/waste
bits of paving and some buff dye , however this morning it still looks
like ordinary grey mortar but I think it takes a few days to cure
before the dye comes through.
I used the www.pavingexpert.com as a guide and tried to do a semi dry
mix where you add as little water as possible to get the mortar pliable
but not wet enough to stain the paving. You then scatter it over the
joint and press it down using a trowel. It seems very difficult to know
exactly how dry to keep it though. I thought it was too dry but it
still seemed to stain the paving (so I cheated and wiped it off with a
slightly damp cloth before striking it with a pointing trowel).

I think I'm beginning to be convinced to go with the natural
sand/cement mixture, I'll give it a test tonight and see what it looks
like after a few days.
Has anybody tried using white cement which should mean the pointing
ends up the colour of the sand which would be close to the colour of
the paving?