Old 20-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
William Wagner wrote:

In article om,
"GardenDude" wrote:

I've had a bumper crop of volunteer dill and cilantro. I would like to
dry some of the dill to use throughout the year. When I pulled some up
and turned them upside down to dry, the foliage all turned brown. I
presume you must need to use some low heat or something. Anyone
experience out there?

Thanks!

Liam

Davis, CA

We have a food dehydrator that works well in Humid S. Jersey.
I have a friend who took the seats out of a junk car fitted it with wire
mesh and in full sun controlled the temp via the windows. Lost some
peaches but it did what he wanted. He also used an old ice box to smoke
his eel's. Frugal kind of guy.

Fire pit was 10 feet away and piped in to cool the smoke. All metal
no plastic. Was good with Aquavit and perogies.

Bill

Wow -- I didn't realize that there were misplaced Alaskans living in
Jersey. You guys should immigrate. We'd be glad to have you!

We use buildings that look like outhouses to smoke our fish. Use old
stovepipe to pipe cool smoke into the building. Since we don't have
fruitwood or hickory up here, we use alder.

Anyway, for the OP, to dry stuff, hang it in a cool, dark spot.
I dry loads of yarrow and comfrey every year, for medicinal use.
I just throw a loop over the stems with baler twine and hang it
in the pantry. Food grade stuff should be dried, then put in jars
or bags, to keep the dust off. (Our house is dusty. I live on a
beef cattle ranch. Between me, the dog and the cowboy, this place
is *always* dusty.)

Best,

Jan, in Alaska
59N, 151W -- USDA Zone 3

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.