Old 20-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Compostman

I agree, although I break my cobs and after a couple of weeks, when the cobs
are soft, I break them further by hand. But I do this with all stuff I put
in my pile. Everything composts better when it's broken into smaller
pieces.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
I agree with Pat Kiewicz. Corn cobs disappear just fine in my compost
pile,
and I do not chop them up first. Actually after only a short time in the
pile they soften up, and you realize that despite their initial firmness,
there isn't really much to them.

Andrew

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
fryman said:

Can corn cobbs be composted?

Yes.

Do they disintegrate as rapidly as other, less "hard" plant materials?

In a hot, active pile, yes, or nearly so.

(The only things that don't disintegrate until after many, many cycles
through the pile are pinecones, big chunks or wood and the stems of
mature squash and pumpkins. I'm not sure that squash stems ever
break down...)

Does it make any difference if the cobbs are cut into smaller pieces?

Maybe a little. I never do more than snap them in half, and don't
always do that.

(attributed to Don Marti)