Old 20-07-2005, 04:09 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:30:21 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am in southern California, sandy soil with no amenities and at least
6 hours a day of sun. The lantana and rosemary is very drought
resistant and we water twice a week. soil dries completely in one day.
We are looking for a ground cover that is low maintenance and not as
woody as the lantana or rosemary. some one suggested carpet roses ???
Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron -

I have heavy black clay soil so very different soil
conditions from you! However, from rose books
I know roses can grow in almost any soil but
you need to add amendments (like compost).

There are usually available several different
rambling roses that eventually make a good
"carpet". One I use is Red Cascade. I think
The Fairy is another, but a local nursery that
deals in roses should have recommendations.
Or you can google "rambling rose" (ignoring
the music sites g).

The only Fairy rose I've seen is a rounded bush shape. There's one
doen the street from me.

Of course, I've got a Fairy (Cl), but it's a true climber, not a
rambler.

Let me put in a plug for The Fairy (Cl). Very vigorous and fairly
disease resistant. While the adjacent Old Blush (Cl) gets hit hard
with black spot, the Fairy only is mildly affected, and they actually
grow intertwined at the margins. In the middle of the fourth season,
this plant is really full and lush. Most of it grows in the shade from
about June on and the other half is hemmed in by Old Blush (Cl).
Between the two plants, I've got about 35 feet of fence completely
covered after 3 1/2 years.

No aroma though.