Old 21-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Gareee©

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Yeah there's ebay and online stores, but you never know what you are
getting, or if it'll even live.

When I first started, no one carried anything here, so I ordered almost
everything on-line. I've used various vendors and haven't been unhappy
yet.

There are also the "self-made" water plants. Using calla bulbs and canna
rhizomes. Start them inside in regular garden soil in the spring, about 2
weeks prior to going outside. Once they get their first leaf, you can put
water up to 1" around the pot. At the same time move them outside and let
them "harden off" get use to the temps outside, a protected area is best,
in case of late frost. Every week put them farther out in the sun and
bring
the water up another inch. Soon they'll be tall enough and acclimated to
having water over their crowns to go in the pond.

You can also take the bulbs, including glads, and put them between your
rocks (YMMV) where just part of the bulb is covered and they'll grow. I
have a Calla in my rushing 1500/gph stream growing great.

Saved for future reference.

Did you order them late in the season, so they cooked in shipment? No AC
in
those UPS trucks.

Direct Gardening was one, and the other was Michigan Bulb, very large
popular dealers.

For pond plants??? ~ jan

No, we ordered quite a variety, and just had bad luck.. 8(

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply