Old 21-07-2005, 06:16 AM
paghat

In article , "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

i have that shoking weed horsetail! its not that bad to look at, like a
minipine tree.haha. anyway the trouble is i have to keep pulling them up
as they are all in my plants.

does anyone know how to get rid of it??

thanks

An in-law from Eastern Europe was so thrilled with our horsetail, he
said it was a protected species some places.

Protected?? That might be the jointed or knotted spike rush (Eleocharis
equisetoides) often called a horsetail, or the woodland horsetail
(Equisetum sylvaticum) or meadow horsetail (E. pratense) or dwarf
horsetail (E. scirpoides) & perhaps a couple others vanishing across parts
of their ranges, but I wouldn't transfer such protected status to any
common horsetail. Some are highly invasive pests (like E. hyemale)
spreading wickedly far beyond their natural range, & the most common
horsetail E. arvense is distributed throughout the northern hemisphere &
much of the southern hemisphere, from the Yukon to Brazil, from
Scandinavia to Africa, from Siberia to central China & the Himalayas, &
has even naturalized in parts of Australia & Madagascar & elsewhere where
it never belonged. It's so plentiful in so many places that it's no more
at risk than are dandylions or blowflies.

It was here long before the dinosaurs were here; it'll still be here when
humanity is extinct, even if we kill off everything else before we kill
off ourselves. "The meak shall inherit the earth" means horsetails &
cockroaches.

Basically, you can "control" it, but eliminating it requires
eliminating every living plant-like organism for several years. Then there
is guarantee it won't come back eventually.
Learn to love it, or at least tolerate it, or move. (be sure to do an
intense study of proposed new location....... Siberia?)
Old Chief Lynn in NW Washington State

There's plenty of it in Siberia. None in Antartica though.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html