Old 21-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Tumbleweed

"aaj" wrote in message
news:1121928105.a02fe4bb25a0b7e03925daa0f9b6ce6f@t eranews...
Hi all

I've just removed 4" thick gravel and a weed membrane. Most of the soil
underneath the membrane is fine, however there is a large patch where
underneath the membrane is another layer of gravel. This bottom layer of
gravel has been compressed into the soil underneath and is rock hard.

I am reluctant to remove this layer of compressed gravel unless I have no
option. The reason being is the physical quantity, It's one thing shifting
many tonnes of loose stuff, but I really could do without shifting another
good few tonnes of compacted almost cemented stuff.

So here's my plan. I am thinking of using my pickaxe to break the surface
up and then remove any of the bigger chunks. I could then lay between 4"
and 6" of soil on top of the surface, which will take the level to the top
of the retaining wall.

So the question is, will 4-6" of soil with a compacted base underneath be
enough to allow grass to grow from seed, or do I need to completely shift
this compacted base?

Thanks for any advice

Andy

Bear with this story :-)

2 or 3 years ago a patch appeared on my lawn, it was *perfectly* round, and
about 15-18 inches across. Over a few weeks the grass in it went completely
dead. The grass around it was fine. I was mystified as to the cause and the
very clear delineation between growing and dead, and started digging. Only 2
inches underneath the dead grass was a round paving slab that the grass had
gradually grown over eventually completely covering it, and I had forgotten
it was there. It had been there over the slab for 5 or 6 years at least
before the grass died. The cause was a very dry summer. So, I'd say that yes
it will germinate and grow happily, and it will probably be OK most of the
time, but in v a dry summer, even the 4-6 inches of soil might not have
enough stored moisture to keep it going.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com