Old 21-07-2005, 10:09 AM
marci marci is offline
Registered User

Location: Toronto, Canada

Actually... I think I have solved the mystery. I did some more research and came up with this..

One of the most common pests of petunias is the budworm caterpillar. These small green worms appear in late June and July. You won't often see the worm itself. Instead, you'll see the droppings, which often are described as small black seeds. The worms feed on the flower buds, making small holes in the buds and the leaves.

These caterpillars are difficult to control but Bacillus thuringensis (B.T.) and Bifenthrin are reasonably effective insecticides. If left unchecked, the presence of the caterpillars will cause petunias to stop blooming.

Thanks to everyone to tried to help me.. I'm sad to say that I think I may be buying a new bunch of petunias instead of trying to fight this.. it's cheaper