Old 21-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Paul Giverin

In message , Spider
writes

Paul Giverin wrote in message
news
I planted a Perovskia last year which seemed to be growing well this
year but it now has developed a problem. The stems are about 36" long
but on the bottom 18 inches, the leaves are turning yellow, mainly the
extremities of the leaves. The soil is light and free draining.

Hi Paul,

I wonder if this could just be drought. Your plant may not be fully
established yet, and is probably struggling in this very hot weather. Give
it a really good soak every second or third day. Don't be tempted to merely
dribble on it - a good soak will encourage the roots to grow deeper .. a
dribble will bring the desperate roots to the surface where they will bake.

Spider

Thanks for that Spider. Its certainly a possibility. Although I do water
every few days if we have had no rain, my Perovskia has a pea shingle
mulch and perhaps I don't water it as much as if didn't have the pea
shingle because I assume that it will retain more water.

Cheers,

--
Paul Giverin