Old 22-07-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Making planters for the front of our house?

We've got a small paved area in front of our house , 12 feet by 8 feet
approx, with a 2.5 foot high rendered wall on the outside. It's a bit
dull so we want to put some planters along just inside the wall and put
some flower pots etc randomly in the remaining area.
The planters will be 3 feet by 1 foot approx and as I'll need serveral
I'd like to make them myself cos' the prices I've seen for similarly
sized ones in garden centres is almost =A3100 each. They need to look
reasonably good but they will mainly be hidden by the wall when viewed
from the street.
What sort of wood , that's easily obtainable and relatively cheap could
I use?
I was thinking of using those decking boards I've seen in wickes as
they seem fairly solid and have been treated? They also have a pattern
which should look ok when painted brown. Obviously I'd need some other
bits of treated wood to reinforce the inside.
If anybody else has done this do they have any suggestions/tips, eg do
I line the planter with some material ?