Old 22-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Doug Kanter

What if you have 8 trillion cherry tomatoes, all green, and the plant keeps
making more but not ripening any? Upstate NY, zone 5-6-ish, plenty of nice
hot weather, good rain twice a week, plants caged, 7 feet tall (really).
Nice, fertile soil, pH=6.2 last week. I've heard pruning some branches away
helps. Myth?

"Cereus-validus......." wrote in message
Not surprising in this summer heat wave.

Tomatoes need cool nights in order to set fruit.

If the night temperature is too high, the flowers will spontaneously abort
no matter what you do.

"Layne" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

I hope some one here can help. I have a tomato plant (Japanese Triple
Black) and it's been putting out flowers...but after a couple weeks
the flowers shrivel up and die instead of producing fruit. I thought
tomatoes were self pollinating. No? What should I do to induce it to
produce fruit? The plant is very healthy otherwise. I've been giving
it 1-5-5 organic fert and kelp in small doses.

Thanks,

Layne