Old 22-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Laura

Pesto on cereal?!? LOL.

Seriously, have you tried freezing pesto?

Someone on this group (sorry, I forgot who posted it) suggested making it up
*without* the Parmesan cheese, then spooning it into ice cube trays. Once
frozen, pop the cubes out and put them into a freezer bag or freezer storage
container. Easy to remove the amount you want, add Parmesan cheese once it
thaws.

I tried it this year for the first time, and although I still have fresh
basil, I tried some of the frozen pesto two days ago to see how it was. It
was just like fresh - bright green and everything! Granted it's only been
frozen for a month or so, but I am very encouraged.

In fact, I think I am going to go give my basil plants another "haircut"
today because my ice cube trays are looking lonely...

Laura

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Thanks, Mathew. In prior years, it didn't matter because I also planted
early varieties. But I had limited space this year. Meanwhile, I have tons
of basil, and no tomatoes. The orgy must begin, but it requires tomatoes
to complete the equation. :-)

Did you know you could put pesto on everything, including cereal? :-)

"Mathew in the Mountains" wrote in message
ups.com...
No myth.... Prune heavily, especially those shoots that come out
between the main branch & the leaf @ a 45 degree angle. Sounds like
your cherry tom is 'indeterminate' which means it will flower till it
dies. By pruning new flowering shoots, you help the allready set fruit
to ripen faster.

Cheers
Mathew