Old 17-11-2002, 08:33 AM
JennyC

Default Trees in pots

"DaveDay34" wrote ..
The last thing you want is for them to be standing in water.
Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Several people have commented that if the pots are standing in water

it will
rot the roots, etc. I thought it went without saying that the pots

should be
deep enough, and the water level low enough for the compost/soil to

draw up the
required amount of water to prevent the plants from drying out,

while not
becomming waterlogged. It appears that it should have been said,

and I
appologise for not saying it in the first place. Most medium to

large sized
pots stood in an inch of water or less will not become waterlogged

and it will
prevent the plant in the pot from drying out.
I hope things are a little clearer now (?).
Dave.

Standing the pots in reservoirs in summer is a brilliant idea, but
maybe not so good during the winter months :~))

You can wrap the pots in bubble wrap to decrease the risk of the
rootball freezing. I then wrap an old bamboo type beach mat around the
bubble wrap. this gives even more protection and looks nice too :~)

Jenny