Old 23-07-2005, 02:13 PM
greatfall

Default What type of cucumber is it ?

3 gardening seasons back I by chance picked up some cucumber seeds from
a local supplier. I was late getting seeds and took what was still
left in the bulk seed jars (only 1 type of cucumber seed remained). To
my suprise, it ended up being the best eating cucumber that I or any of
my family and friends have ever grown/consumed. The cukes would only
grow to 5"or6" maximum and then would grow fat. The seeds were
extremely small even in the fatter cukes and the pulpy area wasn't
runny but fairly firm. They were very crunchy and flavorfull. We took
to cutting them lengthwise in fairly thick slices and either eating
them like that or even making sandwichs out of the slices. Would have
made great sliced pickles like you see on the grocery shelves where the
slices are inserted verticaly in the jars.

To bring a long tale to an end.......I never did know the name of the
cucumber seeds and have been 2 seasons since trying to match up what is
available from the seed companies with no luck. What I end up with,
grows longer than the max size of the one which I am looking for and
the seeds grow larger too.

Do any of you home gardeners out there have any suggestions as to what
this cucumber is. If so a whole bunch of cucumber eaters around here
would be very gratefull. Too late for this gardening season in the
north country, but next years garden is just around the corner.

Thanks in advance and good gardening to you.

GreatFall