Old 17-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Kay Easton

Default Weird flat fungus?

In article , Sue
writes
Doing some raking yesterday in the 'wild' bit, where rough grass has been
taken off, I noticed patches of something flat and whitish among the grass
roots. It's weird stuff, quite tough and difficult to scrape even with the
rake.

I take it it's some sort of fungal growth - we've had all sorts of
fascinatingly different toadstools, puffballs, fairy-rings and whatnot down
in that area. I'm wondering if this sort might need attending to, though.
It's in several different places, presumably keeping moisture off the soil
and stopping flowering plants getting more of a hold. Should I worry about
it taking over, or just leave it to do its own thing?

It could be the mycelium - the main fungus plant - the toadstools etc
are merely the fruiting bodies.

I'd leave it.
--
Kay Easton