Old 17-11-2002, 09:34 PM
Gareth Jones

Default Germination of Banana seeds

In article ,
writes
True banana (Musa) seeds need soaking in constantly tepid or warm
water for 3 to 5 days, changing the water daily to rinse out the
germination inhibitors present within the tough seed coat.

I did soak them. But not for that long. A day I think.

Temperatures need to be high - around 30C - 33C is best and the seeds
should never be allowed to dry out.

30C eh? ...... bugger...... don't think any part of my house is at that
don't even have an airing cupboard :-(

Hmmmm.... I think I've got a demijohn heater for wine making.... that
might do it...

I only chipped half the seeds BTW.
If they are just sitting there doing nothing (and have been for say 4
months or more) do you still think they might germinate if I now apply
heat??

Gareth Jones

"Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

To email, remove the '_ns_' from