Old 18-11-2002, 07:18 PM
DaveDay34

Default Homework question for college

Hello there,
I'm studying gardening on a college course,( RHS Certificate in Gardening)
and for some homework we have to find out about the principles of floating
mulches. Help required for this please! I have already searched a few sites
but not really satisfactory. I just want to know what it is and why it's
used - in simple terms.
Thanks,
Liz.

Hi Liz,

What college are you studying at?

Anyway, the answer to your question, simply put, is that it is a light plastic
or fibre fleece that lets light through, and usually water too. It's main
purpose is to act as a cloche and retain heat and is raised bt the plants as
they grow (hence the reference to 'floating').

I hope this helps.

Dave.