Old 18-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Getting road of Mushrooms/Toadstools

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:14:09 -0000, "Carl" wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
A serious answer to your question is that 80% of such questions
are asked by trolls. You cannot kill a troll by responding
reasonably or by insulting them, but you can by laughing at them.
You were taken for a troll - if you aren't one, then reread the
replies if you want to understand why.

_________________________________________________ _______

Rubbish. And I am not a troll. I scanned this NG and then did a Google
Groups search for this question and got a poor response. I thought maybe
that someone on here may be able to help, but it looks like I was condenmed
from the start. Is this really a group in which posters just take the ****
out of each other? I was hoping and believed I would find someone with a
bit of knowledge on here. If I was taken for a troll then there is an awful
lot of paranoia on here . . .

Point one:

If the mushrooms growing on your lawn are edible then you have the
makings of a fine feast....if you have any ground elder too then you
can kill two birds with one stone, with a dollop of wild mushrooms
sauteed in butter and garlic on a bed of steamed ground elder.

Point two:

There's no way on earth you can remove fungi short of annihilating
your garden. Each individual fruiting body chucks out millions of
spores ... and does so within hours of appearing from nowhere.
These microscopic spores are abundant in the air at this time of
year.... if you lay waste to the current flush of fungi you can pretty
much guarantee they'll be back next year... or another species that
favours the conditions in your garden.
The bits that you can see represent a mere fraction of the entire
organism... the mycelium ( think of it as the roots ) can occupy a
huge area of ground beneath the fruiting body ( the 'toadstool' ).
This autumn has been particularly well suited to lawn fungi.
If it's dry next year you may not seem them ( but they'll still be
there, lying in wait for wet and warm weather ).

Point three:

By and large, fungi are harmless. The only really nasty bugger is
Honey Fungus ( in horticultural terms ), the rest are relatively
benign.. though naturally you'd be extremely foolish to eat any that
you couldn't identify for certain.
To all intents and purposes they can be treated as very short lived
annuals.

Point four:

There is no point four

Point five:

All this has been said already, this is a collation of the posts with
the humour removed.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk