Old 23-07-2005, 07:16 PM
billfish billfish is offline
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish
Thanks, I think I will try a few as a change from the "food sticks" now and then. I'll post again and let folks know whether the fish like them.

Bill.
I managed to catch a few very small (about 5mm) sandhoppers this afternoon (the decent-sized ones don't come out till after dark). I threw them in the pond to see if the fish would eat them. Some swam and escaped, the rest were devoured very quickly by my 4 newly introduced golden orfe. The orfe are very active feeders, so the goldfish didn't get a chance to try them. I think I'll go tonight and get some of the bigger ones in a metal pot (with a lid so they can't jump out) and try drying/cooking them so they don't escape and will hopefully float so I can "target feed" them to the goldfish as well. I'll post again following that experiment.

Bill.