Old 23-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Bourne Identity

I lived and gardened in Dallas for 6 years. Sago palms are not hardy
there. Most winters have night temperatures in the 20's for a week at
a time, and can have temps in the single digits for 8-10 hours at a
time. They are not reliably hardy and very expensive in that part of
the country. A one gallon sago sells for about 20 dollars in a
discount store.

So, it isn't wrong. 7b is not the same on Long Island, as it is in
Texas. And what you said is the key, how long do those average low
temperatures last. Sago is not reliably hardy, based on this, in
Dallas.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:47:27 -0700, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

David,
Wrong, while some did freeze out in temperatures below 17F, this
cycad and many palms will survive a freeze what matters are the
lengths of time below freezing. I manage over one thousand in Las
Vegas....

On Fri, 22 July 2005 11:03:08 GMT, David Bockman
wrote:

"Rattus The RAT" wrote
in t:

Hey,

I got a nice cycad this spring and it's doing really well right now on
my patio, 13 new leaves came out this week (so fast!). Can these guys
survive freezing in winter? I live in Dallas, we get a few freezes
every winter. I would not like to bring it inside my apartment with
all the bugs that might live in that huge pot, also its kinda big! But
I'd hate to lose it, its such a great plant...

thanks

No, they're very tender despite the tough look. In a pot, they really can't
handly anything below 45° F., and would appreciate never seeing below 50°
F.

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold