Old 23-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Doug Kanter

"Emerald" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in No. Va.

The tree is in full sun and it is near he driveway-about 4 feet away
from asphalt.

I water at least every 3 days with hose on full at base of tree, no
overhead watering.

I'd say i give it about a gallon at each watering.

Thanks again,
Em

Others have mentioned diseases, and they're probably correct. However, like
plants (and people), diseases do more damage when the patient is already
stressed. Your tree (like the one at my previous house) was planted in the
wrong place, at least according to a parks dep't tree guy I spoke to years
ago about mine. He said they'd given up planting them anywhere near blacktop
or cement many years earlier, due to the increased heat levels.

The best thing you can do for it is to water it well during long dry spells,
and you're not doing that. One gallon to a tree like that is like giving you
a teaspoon of water when you're thirsty. Put your sprinkler under the tree,
water on low pressure, so it wets the ground and not the tree. Or, get a
soaker hose. Imagine a circle at least as wide as the diameter of the top of
the tree. Move the sprinkler around so that whole area is soaked. If this
takes less than 2 hours, you haven't given it enough.