Old 23-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Steve

Dave wrote:

I'm not sure what variety I have but dang the picking is difficult this
year. I've started using wire clippers to free the tomatoes from the
vine.

You are not growing one of the jointless tomatoes are you? Those were
created for commercial shippers and are "designed" so that the stem
actually pulls out of the tomato rather than separate at a joint like
normal tomatoes.
You can tell by looking at the stem. Is there a natural joint or
separation point where it should break when you bend the stem?
Pulling free of the stem was an advantage to shippers because that way
there was no short stem to punch holes in the next tomato in the box.

Steve