Old 19-11-2002, 11:01 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii

In article , "dave @ stejonda" writes:
| I have an urgent need to decrease to ~7ft a line of Leylandii along one
| edge of my garden. Using a handsaw is good for me but takes too long. I
| am not prepared to spend money on a chainsaw for this single use. What
| would be the issues in using an angle-grinder? The sap is obviously
| relatively viscous and non-seepy at the moment so I wouldn't expect
| catching from that to be a problem. The maximum trunk diameter is
| probably 3". What do folks think?

This is where you want a Star Wars sword/torch/whatsit :-)

More seriously, the reason that you take too long with a hand
saw is that you have an inadequate hand saw. If you get a
decent bow saw with a decent blade, then cutting through 3" of
leylandii is nothing - under a minute, even for a horizontal
cut. CONSIDERABLY faster than you will do it with an angle
grinder.

For 3" trunks, any saw size from 18" upwards will be fine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679