Old 23-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Bob Hobden

"Gareth" wrote ...
My chilli plants have borne fruit - big long and thick green chillis.

The problem is that the taste of the chillis bears no relationship at all
to the description I remember reading on the seed packet. The seed packet
promised a deliciously hot chilli that would add fire to all manner of
dishes. What I have in my mouth is part of a chilli shaped very tame green
paper - not a hint - and I mean even a subtle trace - of heat.

Following germination in early April on a windowsill the seedlings were
transplanted to pots in a greenhouse. The relatively mild summer didn't
cause any problems in terms of too much heat and the only snag was an
aphid and ant attack (which didn't affect the taste sampled plants).

Can growing conditions dramatically alter the heat of successfully grown
chillis? My suspicion is that the seed firm incorrectly packaged a mild
variety of chilli shaped green pepper as a hot chilli.

Would I have more joy if I allowed the chillis to turn red (instead of
reaping them when green)?

To get hot Chillies you need to provide plenty of water to the plants, if
they don't get enough water the fruit will be mild flavoured no matter what
variety you grow. I suspect this may be your problem especially as you are
growing them in pots in a greenhouse. Make sure they always have water
available, use water trays underneath the pots and fill them daily or more
often in hot weather.

It's also a bit early to be cropping chillies, even if they have been grown
in a greenhouse.

We grow ours outside in the ground and just pull the plants up before the
first frost and take off all the usable fruit, red or green.
Our Thai Dragon are always hot.

--
Regards
Bob