Old 23-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Bob Hobden

"Klara" wrote after Kay
replied
Had these in a bed last year and assumed they would self-seed. By June
nothing had happened, so I moved other things into the gaps - and now
the bed is full of cerinthe seedlings, all but one only still at the
two-leaf stage. Surely at this stage they are unlikely to mature - but
then what is the purpose of self-seeding?

Don't forget they're not british. In the Med, they would want to germinate
at the end of a hot spell when the autumn rains are starting.

Ah - spot on, then. Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.
Well, maybe they'll manage a bit of a show in autumn. If I remember right,
they were pretty quick once they got started.

And , I doubt they will come true from self sown, I've yet to have a true
purpurescens from a self seeded plant, they all come up green in my garden.
(Even from the one you gave me Sacha) Had one grow from self sown seed in
the front garden that took over a whole corner during last winter and I only
pulled it out this spring. Must have survived some mild frosts but it
flowered consistently. It has seeded as there are now a number of seedlings
appearing.

--
Regards
Bob