Old 23-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Bob Hobden

"BoyPete" wrote ...
Hello, I've been directed here by a friend.
I have a Cordyline Australis which is approx 11ft tall, with a 6ft spread.
This summer, it produced a flower spike from the top. The flowering is
finished, and has left small green pods, inside which are some black
seeds. Is it possible to grow new plants from these and if so, how?
I'm considering changes to my garden for next year which would mean the
Cordyline must go. It seems a shame to just cut it down, so I wondered if
it would be transplantable if I could find a buyer?
Any advice appreciated

You can grow new plants from the ripe seeds if there are any left after the
Starlings have finished eating them. I have a self sewn seedling growing in
a pot of lilies.
You may have a problem when you say it has to go. The roots go down to it's
native country and they will shoot up again from these. You might consider
using a "Tree Killer" like SBK on the roots.

When we had a wall made our builder dug down approx 2/3 ft and chopped the
roots off there on a plant about 5ft tall. When I came home from work I saw
the uprooted plant, which was just a crown of leaves on a stump, and
replanted it somewhere else, it survived and is now a magnificent specimen.
The original roots then sent up another plant after two years.

--
Regards
Bob (reposted this as it didn't appear