Old 24-07-2005, 06:09 AM
Rod Out back

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"Rod Out back" writes:
Ya want to know what noise a frog makes going through the chipper??
Barely
a 'zztzing'...

Rod, that's all very interesting, but a more useful figure of merit for
the home chipper is its throughput (in kilograms per hour) when mulching
cane toads! :-)

I also note that chooks seem to be industrially deaf; one stood not 2 feet
from the mulcher this morning, while I am finding it very loud with
heavy-duty ear-mufffs on. Not this chook; had a bit of a peck, bit of a
scratch, bit more of a peck.

Obviously a French hen--and you've piqued its taste for frog's legs.

Now, as for the partridge ..... I mean, Indian mynah, I hope that none of
these treasures have accidently strayed into the gaping maw of your
whirling dervish?

John,

Hadnt thought of the joys of chipping a cane toad or two; we havent yet had
them appear here, aside from 2 I killed some 4 years ago There's one
positive thing to say about extreme drought; it buggers up the cane toad
spread into arid areas.... No doubt they arent far away. Not a bad idea; a
handfull of dry twigs to a cane toad would come out quite nicely. Quicker
than freezing them to death in the deep freeze; too!

The chooks also have a penchant for old (as in too off to be human edible)
yoghurt, old watermelons, any of your leafy greens, and dont mind the odd
live mouse either! They did draw the line at an elderly custard apple; they
all stood around and discussed how it looked very dodgey...

To date, no Indian Mynahs either. However, a few hundred Apostle birds that
call the homestead their patch of real-estate, which gets bloody annoying.
Unfortunately, since they have warned us of every King Brown snake trying to
enter the house past 2 years, I have started to see the good in them...

I wouldnt mind chipping the odd crow, but they are way too cunning to be
seen within eyesight of the chipper (or my rifle...).

The Cane Toad idea is one worth investigating...I wonder if the poison in
their glands would stay active for any period of time. Not that it really
matters; once the pile starts to break down, I would think it will return to
the proteins it was made of....

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back