Old 19-11-2002, 03:31 PM
dave @ stejonda

Default using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii

In message , Andrew
writes

Three inches -- pah!? A new bow saw blade will be through that in 30
seconds, and with an assistant pulling the trunk away from the saw cut
witha rope you won't even need to cut a "kerf" out first to stop it
binding.

I fact whilst the main trunks were 3" this ~50ft row of trees had been
repeatedly hacked over the years so that the actual width of the row was
(still is what's left) around 8ft (yes, eight feet!) along most of it.
I've now done the deed.
I had no assistant - no time to arrange one and SO busy working so did
have to contend with some binding. Long-handled loppers did for the
smaller stuff quite adequately. "kerf"? wotsat? - no time for fine
details like that!!!

Please, please don't hire a chainsaw unless you've been trained how to
use it, even to drop little leylandii. Especially don't use one up a
ladder...

No, I'm glad I stayed away from power for that little job.

Incidentally, the rush was that the house next door, in the garden of
which this row of terror was, is rented. The existing tenant died
recently and having been ill for quite some time (and therefore having
been unable, despite repeated promises, to sort the trees) I was advised
this morning off-the record by an agent for the lessors that rather than
trying to get the landowner to do something it would be best if I hacked
them before the new tenants moved in - which could be tomorrow. I hope
they'll be happy with my work, it can only benefit them as well (I'm
aware this is a self-serving argument).

Now, can anyone suggest what I might do to the things tonight to stop
them re-sprouting please - something which won't spread through the
soil.

--
dave @ stejonda

calculate your ecological footprint http://www.lead.org/leadnet/footprint/