Old 24-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Poor runner beans this year

Is anyone else suffering a very poor runner bean crop this year ?
This is the poorest year I can remember. The blossoms seem to be mainly
falling off the plant, without setting at all. Perhaps one or two
out of a possible 15 blossom might set on my runner bean plants.

Very disappointed.

Here's what I've been doing, for any experts out there :

I am using saved seed, 90% of which are Streamline. Well worked
ground with my own compost. I started the plants indoors. Sowed
in a cold greenhouse around the first or second week of April and
thereafter. I've rotated the main trench this year, but planted
a few in last year's trench (the blossom set problem exists in
both trenches). I've watered as well as I ever have, misted to
encourage pollination... I've even resorted to spraying with
some sugary liquid to encourage insects to come and pollinate.

I've planted more densely than most people would do,
however, I work the soil deeper than most and haven't seen
a problem in previous years.

Could the very hot and dry weather for the past two or three weeks
be the main cause of my runner beans not setting ?

Look forward to hearing your views.

--
Darren