Old 24-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Bob Hobden

"Broadback" wrote ...
I am thinking of making a pond. I am thinking of a natural pond, no exotic
fish, I wouldn't mind a few minnows and sticklebacks. I would like it so
that birds can gain access for water. As there are plenty of frogs and
toads, as well as the odd newt in my garden I feel that it would soon be
occupied. Where can I get advice on this? I have tried Google, but all I
seem to get are sites selling liners, or Fishponds, Bristol! Also how
effective and long lasting are sun powered fountains? I realise they would
only work when the sun shines.

The little fish you mention, especially the Minnows, will require running
water, and clean water at that, so aren't a good bet for your pond unless
you want a stream with pump and filters.
Presumably you want something to eat any Mossy wrigglers yet not eat any
tadpoles etc. Difficult.

Rudd would be good as they are top feeders so you will see them, these will
take insect larvae and in a small pond don't grow too big. There is a
"Golden" variety sold for ponds which is a bit redder than the wild species,
both have the blood red fins.
How about some Weather Loach for the bottom.
Bitterling, if you can get them (and the swan mussels they need to breed
in), would do OK. although not native, they are just across the Channel, and
are mainly vegetarian.

Tench grow very big (4 lbs+ is quite common) and will disturb the bottom in
their constant search for food, so a muddy puddle, not what you want I
suspect. They will hoover up any tadpoles.
Roach can be difficult, they often don't seem very hardy in a small pond.

For birds you will need a shallow bit for them to be able to bath in and/or
a stick going down into the pond so they can climb down to drink away from
the edge where it's dangerous.

A fountain in a wildlife pond? Why not a stream? (Back to the beginning
again) :-)

--
Regards
Bob