Old 20-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Clive Wilson

Default Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms

This palm has a tree like habit and is about the only one worth
growing outside in the UK, except for the European fan palm,
chamaerops excelsa, which forms more of a clump. I live in Dorset and
T. Fortunei has no problems at all here except that strong wind
damages the leaves if in an exposed position, especially in the
winter. Soil type seems to be largely immaterial, as long as you don't
live in a bog. I have been growing some T. Fortunei in pots here for
about fifteen years, and they have stood out in all weathers. I am
trying to sell some now as there is nowhere else to put anything; if
that is of interest the e-mail is (I am
afraid it would have to be a collect only job)
If you know about this plant and have seen it in parks or garden
centres in the north of England and Wales, or anywhere in Scotland I
would be interested to know. I have seen them in Norfolk, which can be
pretty cold in winter.
If you need any advice about this plant I may be able to help.