Old 20-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Ace

Default using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:26:43 +0000, MrMoosehead
wrote:

"dave @ stejonda" muttered something
incoherent along the lines of:

I have an urgent need to decrease to ~7ft a line of Leylandii along one
edge of my garden. Using a handsaw is good for me but takes too long. I
am not prepared to spend money on a chainsaw for this single use. What
would be the issues in using an angle-grinder? The sap is obviously
relatively viscous and non-seepy at the moment so I wouldn't expect
catching from that to be a problem. The maximum trunk diameter is
probably 3". What do folks think?

Paging Steve Auvache!

(x-posted to ukrm for the Anglegrinder-o-philes there)

Hmmm., well I'd use the chainsaw, of course, but I guess an angle
grinder would work fine. I don't imagine there'd be any particular
safety issues, other than making sure the tree didn't fall on the
user.

Only problem being that 3" is deeper than the max cutting depth of
many of them (well, mines a 115mm? disc with a max cut of about 1.5" -
not sure what size the larger ones are) so he may have to cut all the
way round, IYSWIM.

--
Ace in Alsace - bruce dot rogers at roche dot com
955i Sprint ST - For Sale