Old 20-11-2002, 04:40 PM
John Langfield

Default using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii

"Alan T Gower" wrote in message
. ..
"MrMoosehead" wrote in message
"dave @ stejonda" muttered something
incoherent along the lines of:

I have an urgent need to decrease to ~7ft a line of Leylandii along one
edge of my garden. Using a handsaw is good for me but takes too long. I
am not prepared to spend money on a chainsaw for this single use. What
would be the issues in using an angle-grinder? The sap is obviously
relatively viscous and non-seepy at the moment so I wouldn't expect
catching from that to be a problem. The maximum trunk diameter is
probably 3". What do folks think?

The heat generated by the high speed of the cutter would harden the juices
and cause the blade to stick.

There are two options.

1. Go to a hire shop and hire a chain saw and do it yourself.

2. Have a word with a local farmer and get him to do it with a tractor.

Myself I use option 2. It only cost £10 to do about 240 feet hedge.

--
John

Riding a Honda CBR 600 FN