Old 20-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Hussein M.

Default Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms

On 20 Nov 2002 01:36:18 -0800, (Clive
Wilson) wrote:

This palm has a tree like habit and is about the only one worth
growing outside in the UK, except for the European fan palm,
chamaerops excelsa, which forms more of a clump.

You may be right but I hope to prove you wrong!

Have you seen this web site?
http://www.rosedownmill.co.uk/

I bought a Butia capitata from them and have already explained
elsewhere (the Cordyline thread) the trouble I presently go to in
order to allow it conditions where it might put on as much pace as
possible (protection in Winter).

By all accounts the Trachycarpus has been known to be hardy in the UK
for many years now.

The Butia is, under any conditions, a very slow grower. It puts on
only three or four fronds every year and gains three or four inches in
height. It should eventually be quite spectacular as I believe it
grows eventually to 70 - 80'. Nice! And a true feather palm to boot.
But I would need to be sitting on a cloud playing a harp when the time
comes!

Rosedown Mill also have some strange prehistoric plants called
cycads and I bought a selection of those for indoors. They grow really
slowly too and I was a little aghast to find that one or two of those
grow to quite a size. It'll take them years though.

Anyway if you don't already know Rosedown Mill you should go have a
shufti. There is an on line catalogue too so you will have an idea
where to pitch the price when you sell your Trachys.

Respect

Hussein