Old 20-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default potting up shrubs now?

In article , DaveDay34
writes

What are the other evergreens?

Well in general I have things such as Hollies, Myrtle, Box, and things
like Abutilons, lots of salvias, Hebes etc which kept growing so are too
large for the pots I put them in at the beginning of the summer. (Well I
kept hoping we'd fins a new house by now!)

In general trees and shrubs should be moved and
planted in winter with a few provisos, such as the ground not being waterlogged
and/or frozen, etc.

Yes I can understand that but I thought there was an argument that
potting them up might disturb the outer roots and they would succumb to
frost.
Basically, they can be moved from when they're first
dormant and the growth has stopped, or slowed right down, to when the growth is
just starting again in the spring as the weather warms up again.

Well what about shrubs that flower in winter, they must have a flow of
sap to regulate flower opening surely? Chiomnathus, Sarcococca,
Hamamelis and so on.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph