Old 21-11-2002, 09:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Horse Manure When can it be used

In article ,
"Adrian Colombini" writes:

| At our allotments a local stables has set up an agreement whereby they can
| dump all their horse manure. It is straw and without pesticides.
|
| My question is;
| If I top dress a bed with 10" of manure then will it be safe to plant in
| come next march? Also what do people think re root crops in manured ground,
| Pippa Greenwood in her book says that is no problem but I'm sure I have
| heard otherwise.

Almost certainly it will be ready to dig in by then - 3 months of
rain and above freezing temperatures will break it down fairly
well. If we have a hard winter, then it will not break down.

Root vegetables may fork or produce a bit too much foliage, but
otherwise there should be no problem. For normal use, don't
worry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679