Old 22-11-2002, 06:11 PM
Hussein M.

Default child friendly climbers

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:49:41 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

Codonopsis smells foul when you get any part of it on your skin. At
least, I think it was a codonopsis - and I didn't think it was a
climber!!

There is more than one species.

Codonopsis clematidea behaves like a twining climber (so I'm informed
by RHS "Plants for Places"). They didn't mention any stink however
(Phoohee to them). Somewhere I gleaned that slugs like it though.

Oh well. I never have been a fan of "Never look a gift horse in the
mouth". It can get you loads of what you never bargained for.

It was a nice try however and I will report back on the smell once it
is growing (if I remember, which I surely will if it is a real
stinker).

And I suppose the original poster can while away a few hours in a
garden centre to get his climbers.

Oh - Nelly Moser (the clematis) is supposed to be very shade
tolerant. A centre should have one of those.

Respect

Hussein