Old 22-11-2002, 06:11 PM
Hussein M.

Default Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:52:12 +0000, wrote:

Once your plant becomes more established, growth rates wil speed up.
I now regularly see between 9 & 12 new fronds per year. I fully
expect it to continue accelerating right up to 20 or so in a season.

Hey! Thanks for that!

That height is a bit optimistic for B. capitata, but it does develop
into a majestic plant in time. Plants in cultivation are most
commonly seen at around 4 -5m. Butia yatay is taller, but with
slightly sparser fronds, it has a spikier look about it. My own plant
is more of a sea-green with moderately broad leaflets. It just gets
better and better every time I look at it.

I have found various pictures of the capitata. It seems to change
shape as it gets larger. There is a middling stage, around 4-5 m I
suppose, when the trunk is quite bulbous, an elongated pineapple.
However the picture I have seen of an elderly specimen is somewhat
different with a shape much more like a coconut palm and, as I said,
spectacularly tall.

Re Cycas

In most cases, centuries more like!

They'll surely be there (hopefully) long after I have curled up my
toes, at which time they will be mere "boys".

leaf flush.. My favourite is Lepidozamia peroffskyana - barely hardy
here, but supremely elegant with very long, arching fronds of
glistening green.

My favourite is one with twisty fronds and has "Mexican" in its Common
name.

David Poole
TORQUAY UK

Torquay? Oh yes. What a shame I can't send my shivering mites off on a
train with lunchboxes for a Winter break with yours!

Nice post for me David.

Thanks

Respect

Hussein