Old 25-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Doug Kanter

"a" wrote in message news:8t7Fe.103514$wr.72546@clgrps12...
Apologies to Mr. Gabriel.

I'm installing a 4X4X16 pole for a clothesline. I'm down to about 3 feet
and I hit solid rock. Not 'a' rock - just rock. I'll be using 10" sonotube
(I have 4' of it) and concrete.

Any rules of thumb for how deep I *should* be for good lateral stability?
I can obviously cut the pole shorter, but I'd like to have 10'-12' above
ground to be somewhat level with the mounting point on the house.

I don't know the rules about this, but I've got 4x4s in my garden, down 2
feet *without* cement. 10 feet apart, clothesline running between the tops
for beans to run along. The cord's not pulled as tight as you would with
clothesline, but it seems to me that 4 feet with cement ought to be fine.