Old 25-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Absolutely. The only way a plant can take anything up is when it's
dissolved in water, and asbestos is insoluble. That's partly why it
persists in animals' lungs.

I suppose there could be a slight risk if particles get washed onto
the fruit by the rain: nobody would dare say there's no risk at all;
but it certainly couldn't get there through the roots.

(Helped my father build an asbestos-clad shed back in the fifties!
Gulp!)

--
Mike.

I used to work in a steel heat treatment factory where asbestos wool was
commonly used as an insulator.
I used to have to stuff it into the required areas - masks were optional !
(the sixties)

Gulp, Gulp !!!

Pete