Old 25-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Rob & Shel

Default mulching & pet poo

I've been pruning trees to improve winter sun lighting & heating.
I've been using my mower as a mulcher/chipper of shrubbery/tree clippings..
Been getting lovely mulch.
Not been able to find a decent mulcher/chipper for sale at an affordable
price.

Also, in recent months due to a few new pets (2 indoor cats & a dog) I've
been turfing in their poos into new vegie beds.
Their litter tray has clumping clay, & so there are "urine balls" of clay
together with the poos that I break up with the hoe, & dig it into the fine
sandy soil. I sprinkle assorted vegie seeds over the area which is also
turfed in. The original ground cover of composted clippings from the
council then is raked over the area.
So far assorted things have been sprouting merrily. Can recognise some
corn, carrots & Chinese cabbage.

It's fine sand soil here. It is THAT fine that often rain can just run off
the surface, & not permeate that well. So adding lots of mulch & compost
has really improved the soil's structure & water over recent years that I've
been doing this.

Rob