Old 25-07-2005, 11:57 PM
OrchidKitty

It's amazing how some experiences are so universal. A few years ago, I
quit one orchid society (about 200 members), on which I was on the BOD.
The president (who was retired and basically had no life) kept asking
me to do another big job, and another big job, and... When I finally
said that I really did have to work for a living and didn't have time
to fulfill his latest request, he was very nasty and snide to me, not
only in person but in public. At that point, I decided to leave the
society, much to everyone's surprise: "But you were so active!"

Once, while I was working many hours on a society show, I scoured the
ranks for volunteers to sit the Hospitality Booth. When I asked one
retired gentleman to sit the booth for 2 hours (a show which he
planned to attend), he replied, "Oh, my dear, I couldn't possibly do
THAT." Evidently, he considered booth work below his social station.
In fact, most of the people who said that they couldn't possibly lend a
hand for an hour or two did, in fact, visit the show.

So, now I am with another orchid society, but they have a similar
problem with a small number of people doing most of the work. It would
seem that if a person were going to join a group, he/she might be told
that there is an expectation to commit to X-hours of volunteer work so
that a small proportion of the people don't frazzle themselves doing
everything. Or maybe the new member might assume that there are some
responsibilities that go with membership. But I guess not. Sometimes I
am surprised that "the doers" don't leave "the slackers" and form their
own orchid society.