Old 26-07-2005, 12:59 AM
tennis maynard

I think Diana's response was very on the beam. I agree
with all the replies that in any group there is a nucleus
of doers, and a majority of passive 'enjoyers'.

Having just been appointed to the nominating committee for
my society (and having served a 2-year term on the BOD,
and being librarian, and being webmaster), charged with
coming up with an 'official' slate of nominees for the next
board term [for the second time], I can speak to this issue
with some insight. Often it's not a matter of finding the
'dream team', but just a matter of enough warm bodies
willing to fill a seat.

Sometimes they are not the best people. Sometimes they
aren't the most conscientious, or have enough time,
commitment, or energy. But they said 'yes'.Reviling
them isn't the answer. As Diana noted, the answer is
to get off your butt and do something about it. I didn't
really have the time the first time I was asked, and
didn't really want to do it, but I figured it was my turn.
I had enjoyed the labors of others (meetings, shows,
picnics, programs, etc.) long enough;I thought it was
time to pay them back and let them enjoy for a change.
As one of my favorite writers, Robert Heinlein, often
noted, TANSTAAFL (pronounced just like it sounds):
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Somebody,
somewhere, sometime, had to pay for it or work for it.
Maybe sometime that's going to have to be YOU. Truly
'adult' people accept this.

My society is in the midst of a changing of the guard.
The older cadre of people who did it all for 20-30 years
have let the reins go; some have passed on, several
retired and moved away, some gave up growing with
advancing age or health problems. It's a tough time. I
think one of the critical things is trying to bring new
blood in on a regular basis to ensure a perennial supply
of experienced officers.

We have nearly eliminated the 'business' portion of our
meeting, and in response to the shift in membership from
experienced to new growers, have established a beginner's
workshop for the 1/2 hour prior to the general meeting. Our
VP/program chair started a before-meeting'dinner with the
speaker'function, and we have instituted other procedures
in an attempt to create more interest and involvement.

People still quit. People still join. You can't please
all the people all the time, but I have found that a
truly friendly society encourages growth and member
retention.

Why do I stay despite the fact that I often barely have
time to take care of my own plants or even tie my shoes?
The comaraderie. The chance to share my passion with
others who share it. And always hoping to learn more.
Good programming helps too.

And as for those too lazy or selfish to help out (over
the years, there has to be SOME way to work it in): I
have the same advice I give in election years: if you
don't participate, you have no right to grumble. And if
you want to quit, quit. We're better off without you.

Tennis